If you are a male BLACK descended from this family, to date no one has DNA tested
from this line. If you are interested in testing, and in knowing how DNA may
help identify earlier generations, please contact me.
Johann George SCHWARZ was born about 1705, probably in Germany
and arrived at Philadelphia 2 October 1753, age 48, on the ship Edinburgh.1
He was living in 1768.2 His wife Anna Catharina living in 1765.3
She may the same or a second wife from Maria Catharina, listed as the mother
of Adam in his marriage record.4
1. Christian SCHWARZ4 b. say 1734 Germany;6 m Eva GREIFF 1 Apr. 1755;4
2. Johann Adam SCHWARZ4 b. ca. 1736;5 m. Sarah Christina GREIFF
8 Feb. 1757;4 d. 2 Apr. 1789 (age 53) and bur. Bethlehem Church Cem.,
Davie Co., NC5
3. Johann Jacob SCHWARZ4 b. say 1738;6 m. Barbara;7,8,9 died between
11 December 177310 and 31 Aug. 17749 Surry Co., NC
4. Anna Magdalena SCHWARZ4 b. say 1740;6 believed to have m.1.
ca. 1761/2 Michael GERBER/CARVER;11 living 178713
Adam SCHWARZ/BLACK and wife Sarah GREIFF had children:
1. Johann Andreas BLACK b. 30 July 1759 PA;14 m. Rosina;13
d. 25 Mar. 1840, bur. Black (Leomine) Cem., Loramie Twp., Shelby Co.,
2. Anna Magdalena Barbara SCHWARZ b. 28 Oct. 176114
3. Johann Jacob17 BLACK bap. 17 May 1764 Plainfield Twp.,
Northampton Co., PA;7 m. Susannah;13,16 died between 4 Sep. and 30 Nov.
1821 Rowan (now Davie) Co., NC16
4. Mary17 BLACK born Northampton Co., PA; m. Jacob18,43 SIGHTS17
5. Catherine17 BLACK b. ca. 1768 Northampton Co., PA; m.bond Henry MOCK17
25 Oct. 1787;19 d. 6 Nov. 1837, bur. Black Cem., Davie Co., NC20
6. Frederick17 BLACK b. 1765-1780; m.bond.1. Milley TUCKER 5 Mar. 1796;21
m.bond.2. Sarah "Sally" WILLIAMS 5 Nov. 1798;21 d. 181640-182022 IN (or
KY or OH?)
7. Loves17/Lovace45/Louisa23 BLACK bap. 21 Jan. 1775 (now) Forsyth Co.,
NC;23 m.bond Zachariah BARLOW 22 Aug. 1798;21 living 1850;45
8. Adam BLACK bap. 25 Aug. 1777 (now) Forsyth Co., NC;13 d. before 178113
9. Sarah17 BLACK; b. ca. 1778;44 m.bond Michael RILEY 5 Mar. 179619
d. after 1850;44
10. Sophia17 BLACK living 1789
11. Adam17 BLACK b. 5 Sep. 1781 (now) Forsyth Co., NC;13 living 181034
Jacob BLACK and wife Susannah had children, all born Rowan (now Davie) Co., NC.
Susannah died about 1823, when her son John was appointed administrator of
1. John George24 BLACK bap. 15 June 1788;13; m.bond 26 Dec. 1808 Nancy BECK;19
d. between 1 June 184035 and 20 Mar. 1841,25 Davie Co., NC
2. Ann24 BLACK b. ca. 1791;33 m. George SWEET;24 living 182724 out of state
3. Sarah24 "Sally" BLACK b. 26 Apr. 1793;28 m.bond Frederick MILLER24 30 Oct. 1819;29
d. 186026-187027 Yadkin Co., NC
4. Jacob BLACK b. 4 June 1795;28 d. before 182724
5. John24 BLACK b. ca. 1798;33 m.bond Catherine ETCHESON 7 Mar. 1823;19
d. Dec. 1824 Rowan (now Davie) Co., NC30
6. Daniel24 BLACK b. ca. 1800;31,41 m.bond Eunicy JAMES 7 Sep. 1823;29 d.
"age 69," 1 Apr. 187036,41, while visting relatives;37 bur. Winterset Cem.,
Madison Co., Iowa36,41
7. Mary24 BLACK b. ca. 1802;32 m.bond Riley ETCHESON24 22 Jan. 1818;29 living
1850 Madison Co., IN32
8. Elizabeth24 "Betsy" BLACK b. 4 Oct. 1803;42 m.bond Elijah THOMAS24
18 Oct. 1823;29 d. 9 Apr. 1856, bur. Bethlehem Church Cem., Davie
9. William24 BLACK; m. Elvira DECKER 8 Nov. 1835;38; d. before 27 Feb. 1849
Harrison Co., Indiana39
1. Ralph Beaver Strassburger and William John Hinke, Pennsylvania German
Pioneers, (Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1966), 1:576-581.
2. Northampton Co., PA 1768 tax list, Plainfield Twp., FHL microfilm 0,021,682.
Both George and Adam are in 1768. Only Adam is in 1769 and 1770.
3. William J. Hinke, Church Record of the Reformed and Lutheran Congregations
in Nazareth Township, Northampton County (Formerly the Dryland Church,
now Tinity Lutheran in Hecktown.) (1929), 8, FHL microfilm 0,020,351, item 1.
George SCHWARTZ and wife Anna Catharine sponsors for baptism of
Johann George Gärber 30 June 1765, son of Michael and Magdalene
4. Old Goshenhoppen Lutheran Churchbook, Upper Salford Twp., Montgomery Co.,
PA, FHL microfilm 0,022,073.
Joh. Georg SCHWARZ, wife Anna Catharina, son Joh. Adam, communicants
p. 115, entries 75-77.
Christian SCHWARZ marriage p. 192, entry 21.
Johann Adam SCHWARZ marriage p. 194, entry 39.
5. Adam Black headstone, Bethlehen United Methodist Church Cem., Davie Co., NC.
6. Estimate from marriage date and/or children, and known age of Adam.
7. William J. Hinke, Church Record Book of the Plainfield Reformed Church,
Plainfield Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania 1763-1853,
(1934), FHL microfilm 0,020,353, item 1.
8. Little Zion Lutheran Churchbook (Indianfield), Franconia Twp.,
Montgomery Co., PA, p. 40, FHL microfilm 0,021,326.
9. Jacob Black inventory, Surry Co., NC Record of Wills 1:30.
Note: There are two pages numbered 30. This is the second one.
10. Adelaide L. Fries, Records of Moravians in North Carolina, (Raleigh:
Edwards & Broughton Printing Co., State Printers, 1925), Vol. 2, p. 780.
11. a) 4 Apr. 1756 Christian Schwartz and wife Eva at source #4 had Magdalena
Schwarz, single, daughter of Georg Schwartz, as a sponsor.
b) 3 June 1759 Jacob Schwarz and wife Barbara at source #8 had Magdalena
Schwarz as a sponsor.
c) Michael Gerber appeared as a single man in the 6 Jan. 1761 assessment
for White Hall Twp., Northampton Co., PA, FHL microfilm 0,021,684.
d) 11 Nov. 1761 Adam Schwarz and wife Sarah at source #14 had Michael
Gerber, Barbra Wipner, and Magdalena Schwarz as sponsors for their
daughter Anna Magdalena.
e) 7 August 1763 at source #7 Adam Schwartz and Magd. Gerber were
sponsors for Sarah Magdaline, daughter of William Huth.
f) 30 June 1765 George Schwartz and wife Anna Catharina at source #3
were sponsors for John George Gerber, son of Michael Gerber and
wife Anna Magdalena.
g) 1782 Adam Schwarz and Mag. Gerber at source #13 were sponsors for
George Peter, son of Peter and Mary Smith.
h) 1783 Michael Gerber in his will, source #12, made as executors his
wife Magdalena and Adam Schwarz.
i) 15 Apr. 1787 John J. Schwarz & Ann Mag. Gerber at source 13 were
sponsors for John Jacob, son of Christian & Margt Eliz. Gerber.
[Christian was the son of Anna Magdalena, John J. Schwarz was
Johann Jacob, either the son of Adam and Sarah, or Jacob and Barbara.]
12. Michael Gerber original will, Surry Co., NC wills, NC State Archives.
Recorded copy Record of Wills 2:2.
13. Nelson A. L. Weller, "The Record Book of Shiloh Lutheran Church,
Lewisville, NC 1777-1893," The Forsyth County Genealogical Society
Journal, 12, number 3 (Spring 1994): 2-20.
14. St. Paul's Lutheran and Reformed (Blue Church) Churchbook, Upper Saucon
Twp., Lehigh Co., PA, unpaginated, arranged by baptism date (with birth
date given), FHL microfilm 0,022,074.
15. Barbara Adams & Gene Mozley, Memorial Records of Shelby County,
Ohio 1819-1975, (Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc., 1977), 559.
16. Jacob Black original will, Rowan County original wills, NC State Archives.
Jacob Black will transcription.
Recorded Copy: Record of Wills H:135.
17. Adam Black original will, Rowan County original wills, NC State Archives.
Adam Black will transcripton.
Recorded Copy: Record of Wills D:156.
18. Stokes Co., NC deed 2:323.
Jacob SIGHTS was witness to Sarah BLACK giving all good and
chattles to son Frederic on 28 Aug. 1796.
19. Surry Co., NC marriage bonds.
Henry Mock (signed Heinrich Mock by Peter Mock)-Catherine Black, Bondsman: Peter Mock.
Michael Rily (signed Rilay)-Sarah Black, Bondsman: Fredrick Black.
John Black-Caty Etcherson, Bondsman: Peter Recktor.
George Black-Nancy Beck, Bondsman: Zackaria Barlow.
20. Davie County Historical and Genealogical Society, Davie County
Cemeteries, (Mocksville, NC: by author, 1998), 98.
21. Stokes Co., NC marriage bonds.
BLACK-TUCKER, FHL microfiche 6,330,288.
BLACK-WILLIAMS, FHL microfiche 6,330,288.
Zacharia Barlow-Lovie Black, Bondsman: Robert Elrod.
22. 1820 Wayne Co., Indiana census, Sarah Black household, p. 222.
23. Fries, Moravian Records, Vol. 2, p. 863.
24. Jacob Black loose estate papers, 1822 file, Rowan County, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,605,331, frames 191-211
25. Davie Co., NC Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, 1837-1847 book,
p. 238, FHL microfilm 0,572,589.
26. 1860 Yadkin Co., NC census, Frederic Miller household, p. 637.
27. 1870 Yadkin Co., NC census, Daniel Miller household, p. p.703B.
Fredric Miller is living with son Daniel. Sarah does not appear.
28. Jo White Linn, "Records of Heidelberg Evangelical Lutheran (Old
Dutchmans Creek) Church," Rowan County Register, 4 (Aug. 1989):
29. Rowan County, NC marriage bonds
Frederick Miller-Salley Black, Bondsman: John Black, FHL microfilm 0,500,954.
Daniel Black-Unicy James, Bondsman: Peter Recttor, FHL microfilm 0,500,950.
Riley Aytcheson-Mary Black, Bondsman: Silas Aytcheson, FHL microfilm 0,500,949.
Elijah Thomas-Mary Black, Bondsman: Ryley Etcheson, FHL microfilm 0,500,956.
30. John Black loose estate papers, 1824 file, Rowan County, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,605,331, frames 212-226.
31. 1860 Madison Co., Indiana census, Daniel Black household, p. 174.
32. 1850 Madison Co., Indiana census, Jesse Etchison household, p 24B.
33. Estimate from ages of other children.
34. 1810 Rowan Co., NC census, Adam Black household, p.285.
35. 1840 Davie Co., NC census, George Black household, p. 189.
36. Graves Registration, WPA project, Tombstone Records of Madison
County, Iowa (by author, 1938), 16, FHL microfilm 1,064,468.
37. Chuck Mallette, 18 Feb. 2002 post to Rootsweb NCDAVIE list.
38. Harrison Co., Indiana 1832-1846 marriage book, p. 50, #94.
William Black and Elvira Decker.
[Note: letter in #24 written by William in 1837 from
Lanesville, Harrison Co., IN stated he was now married.]
39. Harrison Co., Ind. order book G:46, FHL microfilm 1,404,693.
40. Pulaski Co., KY tax lists, 1816, p. 6, Frederick Black.
41. Daniel Black headstone, Winterset Cem., Madison Co, Iowa.
42. Elizabeth Thomas headstone, Bethlehen United Methodist Church Cem.,
Davie Co., NC.
43. Historical Society of Montgomery County, Illinois, "Revolutionary
Soldiers of Montgomery County" (Online: Historical Society of Montgomery
7 April 1914 letter from Belle Grantham Hughes (great-granddaughter of Jacob Sights)
stated "In answer to your request for information concerning Jacob Sights, I will say:
He was born in Germany in 1755. Came to America when quite young: and after the
Revolutionary war settled in Kentucky. There he married a Miss Mary Black, and reared
a large family."
Census records show first children were born in NC, not KY. See also record #18.
44. 1850 Floyd Co., IN census, John W. Riley household, p. 446B.
45. 1850 Surry Co., NC census, John Barlow household, p. 264.
Lovace age 80.
46. Susannah Black administration, February 1823, Rowan County, North Carolina,
Vol. 10, 1818-1823, unpaginated.
This page accessed times.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 27 August 2016