Produced:
Date: 740218
Cover: Full color cover, with a photo of the 90125 band (??!!) standing onstage, and "THE AFFIRMATIVES" in large lettering across the top The photograph only pictures Rabin, Anderson, White and Squire.
Sources: 18 Feb 1974; Madison Square Garden, New York, USA
Tracks: The Revealing Science of God
The Remembering
The Ancient
Ritual
Band: Jon Anderson
Steve Howe
Chris Squire
Rick Wakeman
Alan White
Quality: VG mono, audience recording
Comments: Reasonable sounding, solid performance of all of the songs from Tales from the original Tales tour. To the best of my knowledge, this is the ONLY bootleg that features all 4 songs on it.

Technically, the recording quality is rated (by me) as Very Good. The quality of audience recordings have always been a mixed lot, ranging from god-awful noise (ELP-20th Century Schizoid Man) to wonderful (Yes-Masters of Time).

For some strange reason, no soundboard recording from the Tales tour has surfaced yet. Considering that only audience recordings were available, the bootleggers that made The Affirmatives/Live at MSG at least chose a good source and did this right. There are no cuts in the middle of songs (unlike Live at Long Beach), and no annoying swishiness (unlike the recording of a Detroit show on 2/28/74). The only problem is the slightly pre-mature fadeout on "The Remembering".

Since the officially-released Yessongs and Yesshows denied us the opportunity to hear Tales music during its original public rollout, this one the only game in town for fans of Tales. While it is possible to find more compelling performances of "The Ancient" (Philly '79) and "Ritual" (Roosevelt Stadium '76), all things considered, this is a good addition to one's Yes record collection.

This article is Copyright 1995, K.F. Louie. May not be reproduced without the written permission of the author.
This article has been previously published on Notes from the Edge

Questions, Comments, offers of Yes bootlegs may be sent to me at:
ZMOQ

There's no place like HOME